Pages

Thursday, June 7, 2012

A Couch to Build A Dream On

We started blogging as soon as we found out we had been selected as a contestant, not realizing that the contest officially started in June. So here is a repost from March to make sure it counts. This will be our last repeat post...



14 years.

Well, over 14 years. That's how long Jamie & I have been together. Just kids then when we met for the first time at 13 and still when we started dating at 17. With less than a year together under our belts, we made the decision to stick together through college despite the distance between Nashville, TN and Salisbury, MD. Those were the days when long distance meant long distance. There wasn't Skype or Facebook or Twitter or whatever is being created as I type this. We had PHONE CARDS that we tore through at dangerous speeds and worried our parents at the mounting cost of maintaining the relationship. But we made it through (despite a brief hiccup when Jamie lost her mind Freshmen year, her return was inevitable) and mercifully graduated to come home and finally be in one place together. Christmas Night of 2002 we were engaged and thusly the hurricane of planning began. In among the litany of plans, there was a seemingly innocuous purchase made. It turned out to be the first thing we ever purchased as a couple. It's one of the few things we have from that time that remains with us. This thing I speak of is a couch.

Ah yes, few things are as romantic as furniture. In fact, I believe Jamie may have said once before that "Joe, you're about as romantic as a couch". Laugh if you must, but normally the commitment to purchasing a couch is similar to that of adopting a pet. Additionally when you think about it, that couch has endured more than most things in our life. It was in our first, second, and now our third home. It's been upstairs and down. It's seen more "crashers" than I can count. It takes spills with dignity and cradles various rear ends with aplomb. The couch has lasted longer than some friendships. It's been a welcome respite from a long day at work and a comfy spot for a nap on Sundays. It's difficult to personify an inanimate object, but let me ask you this; If I asked you whether you wanted something in your life that was forever comforting and never asked for anything in return, naturally you'd say yes. Well my friend, you need a good couch.


As the sun slowly sets on our reliable old friend who has been with us for so long, I want to thank you couch. You held us from young married kids, to seasoned adults, and now parents. It only seems fitting that as we embark on a very new journey in our lives that we get a new couch. Olivia needs a place to curl up with her parents. Something to lean against when she starts to walk. Somewhere to watch her first Disney movie. An anchor for the fort she builds with her friends. Maybe one day she'll tell us that she's engaged while sitting on that couch. Maybe one day that she too is having a child. As silly as it sounds, a lot of our lives happen from the couch, they bare witness to a great many happenings in our life. I've forgotten a lot of things I've bought over the course of my life, but I always remember what buying that first couch represented and I now I will be grateful to Su Casa for the chance have another fond memory of just a plain old humble simple couch.

18 comments:

Anila said...

Great post! I hope to come over & make some memories on your new couch. :) I'll be rooting for you, Iskows!

K. said...

well written! goodbye couch and hello to new memories! sounds like a ceremonial couch bonfire is in order?

Papa Jim said...

Funny how something as simple as a couch can hold memories that make us smile and remember. Reading this post inspired me; I have a vision for some new fond memories you could build around the Su Casa sectional!

The Su Casa sectional offers so much room and looks built to last .. so my thought was this:

Remember the movie "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory" (the old film ... not the new one with Johnny Depp)?

Where was I ..(?) .. ! There is a scene from the movie which takes place in Charlie's home. His older and frail Grandparents, no longer able to or motivated enough to remain active, have decided to live the rest of their lives in one double bed.

Do you see where I am going with this? No nursing home for me! Crazy Grandpa Jim is gonna set up home on the Su Casa sectional! Don't you eyes just widen at the fond memories we could build!!!

Steph said...

I have so many memories on your old couch! It's where you told me I was going to be an Aunt! I hope I'm sitting on the new couch that you have won from Su Casa when you tell me I'm going to be an Aunt again!

Anonymous said...

YES to making memories!! Maybe we will all be sitting on THE Su Casa couch when Aunt Steph tells us she is going to be a MOM!!!!!!!!!!!!

JUST A THOUGHT!!!!!!

(Kevin...maybe you should sit down now..on the SU CASA couch!!!!)

Katherine said...

I love reading these comments almost as much as the posts themselves - hey, I said almost! :) Good luck with the contest!

Sheila said...

I hope next time we visit the US we get to sit on the new Su Casa couch - that would be great. I have just visited the Su Casa website and the furniture is amazing, so comfortable yet stylish. Su Casa, can you come to England?
Great blog Jo and Jamie - makes me think back about all the things that have happened on our old sofa!

John W said...

Your couch may be old but it has never witnessed a Triple Crown winner ( Affirmed was the last winner in 1978 ). Step up " I'll Have Another " who won the 2nd leg when we were in York PA during our recent trip Stateside. The 3rd leg is this Saturday at Belmont. Hopefully the Su Casa couch will witness a Triple Crown success and still be in your own stable as the winner at the end of June!! If so "I'll Have Another"

Unknown said...

I hope you win!

Unknown said...

I really want you to win that couch~!

Unknown said...

Your old couch looked pretty rough compared to this beautiful Su Casa sectional. You two deserve it

Unknown said...

I hope to see lots of pictures of Sweet Olivia growing up on that couch. All the "great moments" in her life.

Unknown said...

When do you find out if you won this wonderful Su Casa couch?

Unknown said...

BTW, Su Casa ROCKS!

Erin said...

I love Grandpa Jim!! And Steph, you totally need to tell Jamie she will be an Auntie on your own Su Casa furniture! Nice perspective Jamie! You never think about all the fond memories that go along with a couch :)

KHEATLEY1 said...

How touching joe, and so true at that! Go Su Casa!

Anonymous said...

Su Casa...they gotta win the couch! PLEASE...
Grandpa Jim...that is SCARY!
bUT, Aunt Stephanie...do you have something to tell Kate & everyone else??????

Heatman said...

That couch is definitely worthy of my bucket list, maybe ahead of Bose, Northface, and Porche. Hopefully it won't have to stay on your list for long. It looks like a high enough quality to last until you are in your own bucket list neighborhood ;-)

Post a Comment