Pages

Thursday, June 21, 2012

The Interview: Part 2


Couch Potato Digest contacted us with interest in another interview regarding the Su Casa blog contest. We referred them to another couple, also Su Casa fans, and gave them a chance in the hot seat. Hopefully this will give the CPD's readers a different and unbiased view of the Su Casa experience.

Let us introduce the couple we suggested, our good friends Mike and Emily. They have been married almost two years, live in Odenton, MD and have a dog named Floyd. They enjoy traveling, chocolate cake, Swedish fish, gummy bears, and going to the movies. They have been homeowners for about three years and are always on the search for the right piece of decor for their home.  Here is an excerpt from their interview with Couch Potato Digest.


CPD: First things first, how did you hear about Su Casa?
Mike:  From our good friends Joe and Jamie, who were previously featured in your CPD Interview of the Month and are currently blogging up a storm to help spread the word about Su Casa. 
Emily:  They knew we were looking for a clock and suggested we check out Su Casa.  Two clocks, a table and hutch, and some artwork later - here we are!
CPD: What is your favorite thing about couches?
Mike:  Couches are like people.  They come in different sizes and colors.  They have personalities: some are fun and cheerful, some are standoffish, and others are laid back and chill.  If you fall asleep and drool on them, they never let you forget it.  There are Russian ones you can order online and they get mailed to your house. 
Emily:  I like that they get better with age.  When you first get a couch, you have to break it in a little, find your favorite spot on the couch.  After awhile you know your spot and you become one with your couch when you sit on it.
CPD: Describe a little bit about your shopping experience at the Ellicott City location.
Mike:  Well, first of all Main Street in Ellicott City is a great place to spend an afternoon.  Awesome restaurants, a local coffee place, and a chocolate shop that’ll knock your socks off.  But Su Casa is the crown jewel, the cock of the walk, the raison d’etre.  For starters, it’s located strategically at the top of a hill, so if an eclectic-home-decor battle ever rages in Ellicott City I’d put my money on Su Casa.  They will protect that casa.  Secondly, their store is just a ton of fun to spend time in.  Literally everything is unique and well-made and interesting.  Su Casa is the english muffin of stores - you keep stumbling upon more treasures in every nook and cranny.  Our weekends are precious to us and we’re not the type to spend our Saturdays shopping for home décor – but we have spent three weekends at Su Casa in the past two months! And our house is all the better for it.
Emily:  We struggled when we first bought our home to find our decorating style, or our taste in artwork.  Su Casa has such an eclectic offering, it really helped give us some great ideas and inspire us to find our style.  And the staff is great.  They leave you to explore, but are always ready to answer questions or give suggestions.
CPD: What is your favorite thing about potatoes?
Mike:  That they taste fabulous when french-fried, salted, and eaten on a comfortable couch.
Emily:  How many different ways you can eat potatoes.  You can have them mashed, fried, baked, scalloped, twice baked… the possibilities are endless!  Waffle fries, curly fries, McDonald’s fries, boardwalk fries.  Then you have sweet potatoes and who doesn't love sweet potatoes with those tiny little marshmallows on top?  Potato salad, potato chips, potato wedges, potato soup...  I guess I feel the way about potatoes that Bubba felt about shrimp.
CPD: If you could pick Joe or Jamie to be on your Dodgeball team, who would you choose and why?
Mike:  Well I’ve played soccer with Joe long enough to know he can outrun most people, and I think that more than makes up for his incredibly poor aim I’ve witnessed while playing basketball in his backyard.
Emily:  Joe’s fast, but Jamie’s got that competitive spirit that says I’m not afraid to throw this ball at a limping child if it means my team is going to win.  You want that type of fire on your side.
CPD: What is the weirdest thing you have found under a couch?
Mike:  Another couch…  I mean sure, it was when I was a kid and it was part of my sister’s doll set, but for a minute it felt like I had stepped into a parallel universe…
Emily:  Our dog.  We were shocked to see he fit underneath, but he had rolled his tennis ball underneath and was determined to get it out and he got stuck.  Silly Floyd!
CPD: We saw a picture of your new table and hutch that you ordered from Su Casa. What made you choose that set?
Mike:  We just loved the style.  It is simple and contemporary, yet looks very unique because it is made with reclaimed wood and has a slightly distressed look to it.  We wanted something lighter colored, and this was perfect.  Jessica – the Su Casa employee who helped us – was really great helping us secure a deal and lock down the logistics of delivery (we needed them to hold the table for a few weeks before delivering).  Free delivery on furniture is a HUGE plus!
Emily:  Mike was the first to see the set and the first time we went to Su Casa I remembered walking past it, but not a lot of details.  When we got home, Mike couldn't stop talking about the table and how well it would go with our newly remodeled kitchen.  I started to get excited too so we made a second trip out to check it out again.  I started to fall in love with it too, and after a week of thinking about it we decided we had to have that table and hutch!  We then started to panic that it might be gone, but on our third trip we walked into the store and were relieved to find that it was still there.  Jessica was a huge help and we watched her put sold signs on the set as we left and now we cannot wait to have the set in our kitchen! 
CPD: If you could be any piece of furniture, what would you choose and why?
Mike:  I don’t think this qualifies as furniture, but I would want to be a fire poker.  Cause then people would always say, “Mike sure knows how to handle the heat!”  Plus I could double as a weapon in case of a home invasion.  Multi-use!
Emily:  Papasan chair!  Because it is fun to say and I love that you feel like you’re sitting in a giant bowl that completely surrounds you.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

throw a ball at a limping child to win a game?! Jamie? Maybe the old, volleyball playing Jamie, but not the MOM to Olivia / nurse Jamie. NEVER!
don't get me wrong Su Casa, Jamie IS competitive, she WANTs, NEEDs, has to have this couch from Su Casa,
but not by hurting anyone.
FREE DELIVERY?! Su Casa, you have GOT to let folks know that...it is a HUGE selling point. GO Iskow Family!

KHEATLEY1 said...

SO PRETTY MUCH, i have to make a trip to the king of the hill!

Jamie said...

Yes, I agree anonymous. I certainly wouldn't hurt a limping child. I like to win things, but not at the expense of humanity:)

Papa Jim said...

Free Delivery!

You could buy a couple of accent pieces to compliment your purchase and still come out ahead when delivery is free!

Katherine said...

Swedish fish? really? I guess if you are okay with Jamie and Joe, I can look past it. That and your love of potatoes makes up for it. :)

John W said...

So the Su Casa store is located at the Top of a hill. But where else would you expect to find a Market Leader?

Also it is often said that when you are at the Top, the only way is Down. Given all the glowing comments about Su Casa on quality of product and service, they are surely the exception to this saying.

Sheila said...

I agree with John W. Su Casa it a Market Leader at the top of the market, but having just had a good look at its website, I would say they are still striding forwards with style and innovation. Well done Su Casa.

Anonymous said...

great interview! we are fans of the distressed wood as well! looking forward to seeing the new table and hutch! a couch under a couch...now you're got me thinking...

Post a Comment