Pages

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Mad Men

Like many college graduates, I spent four years pursuing a degree I ultimately wasn't able to use. That degree was in marketing and I had aspirations of getting into sports advertising/marketing. The problem was that no one ever told me that the majority of those jobs require a minimum year unpaid internship. Having just spent four years in college and away from Jamie, that wasn't very appealing. For some reason I was anxious to move forward with my life of bills and expectations. That said, one of the fun parts of this contest (as seen with our goofy commercials) is that I've had the opportunity to exercise that part of me, even if just for fun.  

For our latest blog, we decided to tackle print advertising. It's no coincidence that Mad Men is set in the 1960s, that had to have been the best time to be in advertising. There weren't half the FCC limitations companies face today but it was also a time when, how shall I say, people just seemed to be classier. Well, I am a product of the 80s and the 50s & 60s to me seems like milkshakes and soda pop all day long. Kind of like Pleasantville, even though I am certain that isn't true. Anyway, I looked up a couple examples of advertisements from that era and then Jamie and I set to create our own ad for Su Casa. Thought to myself, "what would a Su Casa ad from the 1960s look like?" Keep in mind, this was way back when it was okay to talk about gender stereotypes, smoking, and drinking.

"Kroehler, for the housewife who likes to lean on furniture and wait for her husband". 

If we still haven't perfected the sofa bed, can you imagine what the first drafts must have been like?

I looked it up and yes, Kroehler is still making furniture.Mildly concerned no one is keeping an eye on that child who is clearly playing on the edge of an infinite abyss of darkness and couches.

Bingo! There's only so much you can do with limited time and software, but we had a good time putting this together and given more resources, I think we might have been able to fool some people into thinking it was a real advertisement! And yes, this is us in the pictures!

16 comments:

Chelsea Eller said...

You guys keep out doing yourselves, this ad is beyond perfect!

Kristen said...

Love this. That Su casa couch sure makes you guys a lot classier!!!

Papa Jim said...

Joe, the 60's WAS all milk shakes (or banana splits) from the drug store, trips on your bike (Schwinn Sting Ray, naturally) to get a soda and "Nickel" candy. You two did a great job assimilating the feelings, moods and sense of a "bright future just ahead" that was typical of that era.

In many ways, as I have learned here, Su Casa embraces the elements that made that era and that generation unique.

Community: The stores were predominantly a family owned business. You weren't just a customer, you were a friend or neighbor. You knew the home where your product was headed almost as well as your own.

Quality: Things were built to last. If your product suffered an early demise, you felt responsible. It was trust in your integrity and reputation that kept your business thriving.

Innovation: Thinking outside of the box was almost defined in this era. Tried and true methods were no longer blindly accepted; they were examined and modified in ways that opened new possibilities. Look to the Su Casa blog contest if you need an example. That simple "Blog Contest" concept provided outlets for creativity, brought small communities of friends together, sparked numerous impromptu conversations and got some great exposure for Su Casa in some markets that it may have never reached before.

Well Done!

Suzi said...

Awesome! Keep it up. An ad agency should hire you two.

Anila said...

Ok, I don't even think you're being fair to the other competition at this point! High creativity points, Iskows!

Anonymous said...

you better win this contest, you guys are so creative and keep me laughing! (and now wanting a new couch of my own from Su Casa!) awesome!

Anonymous said...

Having finally seen the couch in person (and rested my rear on it), I can say that your mock ads truly capture the couch's elegance.

Will Su Casa deliver to Boston? What if I ask *really* nicely?

- Cousin Becca

Suzanne W said...

This is brilliant! Su Casa should definitely give you the couch (as well as a job doing their advertising!!!)

Holly said...

Awesome,simply awesome. Go team Iskow!!

Anonymous said...

This is great. You both are so creative! You really deserve to win this couch!

John W said...

Hats off to this Ad guys. The couch looks so at home in your living room. Take note Su Casa.

Susan said...

This AD will need to be posted in your family room next to the Su CASA couch. Anyone who comes to your home will want to know all about it and you can share your SU CASA experience!

I agree with Suzi...maybe thinking of ads should be in your future!!!

Sheila said...

There seems to be no end to your skills...creativity, imagination, IT, determination, to mention just a few....you guys deserve a Su Casa couch to rest on at the end of a long day. (Su Casa - you can help here!!Please!!)

Katherine said...

Fabulous! I love it!

Of course,I agree, you should both get jobs at Su Casa...but so should Grandpa Jim! I love reading his comments!

KHEATLEY1 said...

Su Casa cant deny you this couch after this effort !

Misty said...

I would absolutely by a Su Casa sofa based on this ad campaign! So appropriate with the Mad Men craze right now. You guys are so cute. And I'm dying to try this couch out!

Post a Comment