Pages

Monday, June 4, 2012

Couch Manufacturing 101



For those of you who don’t know much about how a couch is built, you’re in luck! It just so happens I am a master carpenter and have many, many years of experience building my own couches.  Below, I’d like to take you through the very complex step-by-step process I’ve discovered over my years of success and failure. Where possible, I’ve provided visual aides to reinforce the process. Buckle up, it’s very exciting!

Step 1: Framing
My great grandfather always used to say “a couch without a frame is a lumpy blanket”, and this is true.  He had many sayings about couches. The frame is to the couch in the same way the chicken is to the egg. So you’ll want to be sure to get only the best 1000-year-old Redwood to construct your couch. Carpentry tip: map out the shape of your couch on paper with pencil and not on your hand with dry erase marker. That’s how a love seat becomes an ottoman people! If you yourself are not a master woodworker like myself, I may have a guy who can help you out.



Step 2: Webbing & Springs
I skipped this step once when I was trying to save money on a project and it ended rather unfortunately. You think to yourself “hey, if they have waterbeds, why not watercouches?!”. The cops said it was the only time they’ve heard of someone drowning without getting wet. Anyway, learn from my failures and make sure you fill in that frame with something that will not only keep the couch in shape, but keep it comfortable for a very long time like webbing & springs. Industry secret: most of the time we just use old trampoline material. 

Step 3: Padding. 
I’ll just say it; compressed air is not an acceptable substitute for padding. This was before the watercouch incident and it failed disastrously for a litany of reasons that I can’t detail here because of the pending trial. Once again though, learning from my accidents, I no longer cut corners on these details. Building a couch is exactly like building a house of cards; you’re just one sneeze away from complete annihilation. As for me, I currently prefer Marshmallow as padding. It’s soft, resilient, and delicious. 


Step 4: Fabric. 
This is what a couch is all about, isn’t it? It’s the culmination of all the other parts. If you do everything else right, but fall short on the fabric, well you might as well be a milkman because you ain’t no couch builder person. The key to finding the perfect fabric is a little acronym I use called C.R.A.P. First you want your fabric to be cleanable, I think we can all agree on this. The next is reliable. I’ve had some fabrics explode right off the couch. Thirdly, it has to be affordable. I bought 4,000 cubic yards of Wooly Mammoth fur once because everyone knows it’s cheaper in bulk. The problem is that they’re extinct. Sure the fabric itself is cheap, but the means to getting it are insane. Finally, and most importantly, you want something that is pleasing to the eye. Neon was cool in the 80’s but not so much now. I’ve been fortunate enough to find a vendor who meets all my CRAP needs…


Step 5: Finishing
You gotta finish what you started, sometimes even when you know you’ve just built a lemon. This is the part where you put on that frilly stuff at the bottom, shiny buttons, ribbons, zippers on cushions, piping, etc. I also call this part “the smokescreen” because if you put enough finishing pieces on your couch, quite often people will overlook the fact that it doesn’t have a back or that the recliner doesn’t recline.




To summarize, don’t be an idiot and try to build your own couch. Couch accidents are the leading cause of death amongst idiots, look it up. If you want to be sure to satisfy all your couch needs safely, I’d ignore everything I just said and go to Su Casa like we did.









15 comments:

Anonymous said...

haha, nice!

Anonymous said...

Joe you have missed your calling as a writer. This was hilarious.

Kristen

Anonymous said...

Great story Joe! Su Casa sounds like the way to go!

Deb

Jamie said...

Thanks for all the comments guys!

Chelsea Eller said...

Joe, this was great!

Grandma Kris said...

Kris: Too funny guys!! Thank goodness you shopped at Su Casa!

Emily said...

Saw the couch this weekend, it is awesome!! It looks great in the room and super comfy!

T. Demers said...

Nice post Joe. There are no circular saws involved in building a couch right?

KHEATLEY1 said...

Wow, enough said...no couch building for me, Su Casa it is! :)

Anonymous said...

Robin: thanks so much for the humorous story.
We ALWAYS! take the easy way at our house...therefore, we will NOT be building our own couch...we will be going to Su Casa!

Suzi Melzer said...

Amazing and interesting!

Katherine said...

Too much...I love all the photos. :)

Anonymous said...

This did make me laugh, but can't be doing with all that work, so Su Casa it is for me then - do they deliver to England?
Sheila

Sheila said...

So that' where I went wrong!!! I should have gone to Su Casa!
Great blog Joe!

Jim D said...

If Mel Gibson couldn't build a rocking chair (The Patriot) I say we leave the couches to the pros!

Post a Comment