Pages

Monday, June 18, 2012

Halftime


So I wanted to take a moment and kind of have a real moment in the middle of this blog contest. Most of my contributions thus far have been in the realm of humor because we’ve asked all our friends and family to support this blog effort, the least we could do is entertain, right? Honestly, how much can you read about a couch? We’re hoping at least 30 stories, but we also understand that the subject matter could become redundant. Thus we’ve tried to create variations on the presentation of the subject matter to keep you all engaged. You remember when Oprah had a show (Jamie is still mourning) you knew what the show was about by the music and also where Oprah was sitting? If she was in a single chair and talking directly into the camera with little or no music, it was serious time. Well, I can only be so serious before I laugh at myself, but if you could see me now, I am staring directly into the camera. Today my special guest is Su Casa.


It’s human nature to covet things that we really don’t need. A car, an outfit, an iPhone, etc. They’re luxuries that we want because owning them enhances our lives a little, but without them we’d probably go on just fine. Well, for the longest time Jamie and I coveted a new couch. We’ve gotten along just fine for the last 8+ years rotating in a bunch of different living room arrangements, but you could argue that we’ve never really been comfortable in the room we spend most of our time in.  We’d made some bad decisions on purchasing living room furniture in the past and so we knew that the next time we purchased something, we had to do it right. I’ve mentioned previously what a commitment we make to our living room furniture. My parents literally had the same set for over 25 years. The problem with the idea of “doing it right” is that to do so, you have to find a piece that accomplishes a lot of things at once; style, comfort, price, fit, durability, etc. The truth is Jamie and I were probably many years away from being able to find the couch we coveted with where we are in our lives right now. And then one day an email appeared in our inbox…everything happens for a reason.


If you read our “butterfly effect” blog, maybe this is how we were supposed to get that couch we coveted. Maybe we were meant to earn it. Think about the thing you covet, go ahead. Now imagine the vendor for that thing gave it to you and said “you have 30 days to prove that this belongs to you”.  If you agree our effort thus far has spoken to that desire to earn this couch, then you are correct. Truth be told, I think we’d both be quite dismayed to have to go back to our old green couch after having been graced with such a fine piece of craftsmanship. But if I learned anything from my upbringing (and I know Jamie was raised the same), it’s that even if we win this couch, we will have earned it. As an aside, it occurred to me what such an opportunity like this says about a company like Su Casa. Imagine what it must mean to run a successful company and yet (as far as I can tell) not advertise? It shows you have a genuine dedication to your customers and your brand and trust that it will be enough. I wish every company gave me the chance to earn the things I needed instead of paying for it!


I think the point of this blog wasn’t to get sentimental or serious, but merely to speak to the fact that we recognize the opportunity we have and that we are taking it seriously. Oh, and we both think the second half of this contest for us is going to be better than the first! So to end this bit, I want to say to Su Casa “please just give us this couch!!!”  Hey, I knew a guy once who said you can’t get anything you don’t ask for! Hang in there with us for the second half of this contest and look forward to some interesting stuff we have in store. THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR SUPPORT!


9 comments:

Papa Jim said...

I Liked this post Joe!

Like my Grandpa said "If you don't ask the answer is always No".

Su Casa:

Jamie and Joe are working hard! They are making the good word spread fast. WE love this blog and see the parallels of work ethic and commitment to pursue excellence that runs through this family and your company. Could Jamie and Joe please have this couch?

Grandma Kris said...

Grandpa Jim and I agree. Joe and Jamie have put an incredible amount of work into wooing Su Casa in the hope of winning the sofa. As Joe's mom and Jamie's mom in law I guess I'm prejudiced but I think they're an awesome couple and hope they do win the sofa!

Mike said...

I got to spend a few glorious moments on the couch this weekend, and can confirm that it is serious nice - like a jacket made from "polah beyah" (polar bear).

John W said...

If this was halftime in a Football (sorry Soccer) match then I suspect the score would be:

All Other Stores United 0 v 6 Su Casa

KHEATLEY1 said...

Su Casa- NO ONE deserves this couch more than Jamie, Joe and Olivia! Can they have it?

I know that the way you have sold this blog and couch to us thru your stories, has actually made me want to shop at Su Casa. And thats not an easy task!

Beth W said...

Joe and Jamie have a house that is laid out exactly like ours. We are (actually I am, Drew knows nothing about it) consideriing shopping for some new furniture. The nice thing about this is that I dont have to do any shopping. I can go right to Su Casa and order the couch!

No one deserves the couch more that Joe, Jamie and Olivia! They are the best cousins/friends anyone can ask for. Su Casa....please pick the Iskows!

Jim D said...

If the Iskow's can't have it I'll take one for the team and accept it on their behalf!

Anonymous said...

Kate's mom says:
PLEASE Su Casa PLEASE, can the Iskow Family have the couch.
We love the blog & SU CASA!!!!

Sheila said...

Su casa, what an ingenious way to market your goods!!You just KNOW that once you get such stylish furniture into a home, the quality, fantastic designs and fabrics will speak for itself, and all friends and family will be reminded of that every time they visit. Who needs to advertise when your products speak volumes!

Post a Comment